Monday 29 December 2014

A Year In Music


Aka my top40 of 2014 songs. So that I maintain a certain variety (and because of 8tracks' limitations) only two songs are included by any artist, which in some cases is kinda cheating - since I've listened to Shadows of the Dying Sun excessively, and WT and Rise Against certainly would have more than two songs if going by my iTunes play count.
You neend't continue, here's the playlist on 8tracks, but if you have loads of free time or are terribly interested in what I have to say (/fangirl) about these, then by all means, do read on. There are also separate youtube links there, for those who'd only listen to a few.

40. Eluveitie - The Silver Sister
39. Servers - Universes & Supernovas
38. Unearth - Trail to Fire
37. Imagine Dragons - Warriors
36. Lacuna Coil - I Burn In You
35. Magenta Harvest - Spawn of Neglect
34. I Killed the Prom Queen - Thirty One & Sevens
33. Vesania - Disillusion
32. Hollywood Undead - Day of the Dead
31. While She Sleeps - Four Walls

30. Fall Out Boy - Immortals
29. The Ghost Inside - Out of Control
28. In Flames - Rusted Nail
27. Allegaeon - 1.618
26. Epica - Victims of Contingency
25. Architects - Naysayer
24. Equilibrium - Waldschrein
23. At the Gates - At War With Reality
22. Machine Head - Now We Die
21. Fall Out Boy - Centuries

20. Black Crown Initiate - Withering Waves
So progressive death metal is a genre, and I love it. Not as clean-cut as Scar Symmetry, and probably not on the same level anyway, but still pretty good. Also a lot less science and a lot more angst.
19. Sonata Arctica - What Did You Do In the War, Dad?
What can I say, I'm a sucker for sad war songs.
18. In Flames - Through Oblivion
So this album was not melodic death metal at all. That was a huge disappointment. Out of those songs, this is probably the most 'pop', but this is the one I like the most. It may be because this one's at least not some half-assed attempt at radio-friendly alternative metal. No, this is excellent radio material, also, I've always had a special love for slow ballad-y In Flames songs (see Metaphor, Discover Me Like Emptiness etc). Still, shame on you, In Flames.
17. Scar Symmetry - Limits to Infinity
I've raved about this album before, so here it is. My second favourite song, a little more digestible than the other songs on the album, with an incredibly catchy chorus.
16. Against Me! - Two Coffins
I could have put a more revolutionary song from the album here, but this one is my honest favourite, even though it's pretty simple.
15. Delain - Lullaby
Is there such a thing as symphonic pop rock? This is it, then. So, so very catchy.
14. Darkest Hour - Anti-Axis
At this point I don't think it's any secret I like metalcore. And this actually sounds vaguely In Flame-ish - by which I mean In Flames circa early 2000s. Not this year's album. So yeah, I like this song a lot.
13. Within Temptation - Covered by Roses
It's no secret I loved Hydra, and wow, this song is awesome. The collab songs were amazing, but my favourites still have to be where there's only Sharon.
12. Linkin Park - Rebellion feat. Daron Malakian
The crying fanboys under the youtube video give me life. 'Daron is too good for Linkin Park, boo hoo' well excuse me, I happen to like Linkin Park, and this is their best song in a very long time. The guitar theme is extremely SOAD-esque, and that's one of my favourite parts, so thanks, Daron. Also, I love the lyrics. Finally, an uptempo rock song from LP. Oh, nostalgia...
11. Anubis Gate - A Dream Within A Dream
Ambitious progressive metal. Anubis Gate, on general, are a very good example of what the genre could be with a little inclination towards innovation, but this 14-minute long song is a real special treat.

10. Eluveitie - From Darkness
Eluveitie were maybe-probably my first folk metal band, and this song is really damn good.
9. Mors Principium Est - Monster In Me
Pure melodic death metal. You go, Finnish bands. Just never where IF went.
8. Rise Against - Tragedy + Time
I really cannot adequately express my love for Rise Against songs. Symphonic metal might be more beautiful, and melodeath more exciting, but punk rock is very special to me. And this is my new punk rock theme song. Will it be comedy after a while? Let's hope so.
7. Insomnium - While We Sleep
Hello Insomnium, my biggest current melodeath love, They really set the bar for me with this record. This song is an easy introduction to it, a little traditional, but with their trademark atmosphere.
6. Epica - Natural Corruption
I'm sad I didn't manage to pack more Epica into this list, because The Quantum Enigma was an excellent album. I love the very subtle folk influence in this song.
5. I Killed the Prom Queen - Kjærlighet
Oooh I'm in love with this song. This is what gave way to me liking metalcore, a genre I previously dismissec (was I trying to be a cool metalhead? I don't know). After the light intro there's a swift sweep into a quicker pace, but then the clear lyrics are again very light, almost ethereal. I love the contrast in songs like this.
4. Scar Symmetry - Neohuman
The best song from a very strong album - what is there to not like? I love long but well-composed metal songs, and this is one of the best-written.
3. Within Temptation - Silver Moonlight
Frankly, this is the most under-appreciated song from Hydra. This is an excellent rock song, even if not much is there from their original symphonic influence.
2. Rise Against - People Live Here
Rise Against ballads are my Achilles heel - see also: Swing Life Away, Hero of War. This is not as simple as the former, and doesn't reach the latter's utter brilliance in songwriting (I swear I will write about it one day), on the contrary, it's very straightforward. But there's something in the raw honesty of the song, a certain beauty to the sad optimism, which still make it able to stand on the same ground as those songs.
1. Insomnium - Shadows of the Dying Sun
I listen to an amazing amount of music, even if not in a very wide variety. I have many songs which are 'mine', but rarely do I feel it hit so close to home. This year, only this song and Tragedy + Time managed to do that. While I love the Rise Against song, Shadows of the Dying Sun is perfect from every aspect - the lyrics are an anthem, the atmosphere is trademark Insomnium, it's the most bass-heavy song on the album, there's a sweeping, over-arching melody. This is close to a spiritual experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment