Monday 27 October 2014

Metal Halloween Playlist

Last time I did a Halloween playlist was two years ago - now that I'm faithfully doing Music Monday, I thought it was time for a new one. This time, to reflect my changing tastes, one full of metal songs - I tried to choose not-too-obvious ones which still fitted thematically. This would be the starting playlist of my Halloween party, if I ever hosted one.


1.Insomnium - In the Halls of Awaiting
Great, gloomy Insomnium to get into the mood.
"Beyond enchanted sea, wistful is my sleep | Darkness by my side, through the dreary night"

2. Eisbrecher - Kinder der Nacht
I don't entirely understand the lyrics, but I guessed something titled Kinder der Nacht can only be fitting for Halloween. It's a rather upbeat melody, for metal.
"Wir sind die Kinder der Nacht | Sind aus den Schatten | Der Dunkelheit erwacht"

3. In Flames - Satellites and Astronauts
I love this song, it's my favourite Old-In Flames song. Wouldn't it be fun to dress as an astronaut?
"Steal my mask and make me pay | I need a new skin | I'm going insane"

4.  At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Ah, good old melodeath of the grittier era. I'm not too fond of The Dice Man (inspiration for the album), but I like this song. The lyrics and thoughts not so much.
"Never again | On your forcefed illusions to choke"

5. Eluveitie - From Darkness
This is dance-y metal, if there is such a thing.
"Ascend | To darkness we sail | Eternal refuge of the soul"

6. Chthonic - Takao
A great song by a unique Taiwanese black/folk metal band. I normally don't like black metal, mainly because the Norwegian kind is often full of ideologies and a mindset I'm not comfortable with (I'm looking at you, right-wing black metal bands).
"Ghosts of the past bound and tied"

7. Dark Tranquillity - The Mundane and the Magic
A little lighter music, to heal those who can't handle a little Chinese screaming. I absolutely love this song, on of my favourites from the band. Of course, I always love some female vocals.
"If I could merge the mundane and the magic | We'd forge a new unknown"

8. Scar Symmetry - Chaosweaver
Oldie but goodie. This is a pretty sick song - also, how cool is that title?
"Chaosweaver | From the shadows you hide | In defiance | You are hollow inside"

9. Omnium Gatherum - Soul Journeys
Melodeath originated in Sweden, that's for sure, but there are quite a few Finnish bands - somehow similar in their sound - who had done something incredible with the genre. Now, my favourite of those Finnish bands might be Insomnium, but this song is a masterpiece.
"Walk with wind | down a road | to hear a sound | to burn out loud | in silence"

10. Amorphis - Silver Bride
I'd seriously go dressed (in pair) with someone to a Halloween costume party as two figures from the Kalevala. Just someone buy me the silver paint.
"... A silver bride I built | From the northern summer night | From the winter moon"

11. Soilwork - Soilworker's Song of the Damned
Generally, Soilwork represent a very simplistic form of melodeath, but there are plenty of songs there I love. This one isn't so simple, actually.
"Song of the damned, never ends, so don't pretend"

12. Disturbed - Inside the Fire
Very, very dangerous lyrics, very, very fitting for Halloween.
"End your grief with me | there's another way | release your life
take your place inside the fire with her"


13. Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk
Some nice, traditional CoB. Perfect for when people are already drunk (not at my party though, maybe somewhere else). On Halloween, you only drink dark red and occasionally weird neon green or orange liquids. (Also, I think CoB members would more likely be drunk on vodka than anything else.)
"Blooddrunk - wasted again | And inside all pain will fade"

14. Mors Principium Est - Hijo de la Luna
An amazing cover of the already beautiful Hijo de la Luna - I realized I also knew the original, it's quite famous. This one is largely English, and metalified. (If that's not a word, it needs to be.)
"Luna quieres ser madre | y no encuentras querer | que te haga mujer"

15. Turmion Kätilöt - Pirun nyrkki
How I wish I actually spoke Finnish - alas, I had to look up the translation. I still don't understand it, but not because of the language barrier. Anyway, it's a nice song.
"En ole tottunut uskomaan, vaikka pelkään kuolemaa"

16. Isomnium - One for Sorrow
This is a fucking beautiful song (excuse my French). Though no longer amongst my favourites, it was the song which made me fall in love with Insomnium.
"And here I stand | Devoid of faith, bereft of hope | Unable to break the walls around me"

17. Dark Tranquillity - Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive)
Fast, upbeat, to pick up the pace after the previous song. It isn't actually much happier, and if by this time you don't have a hang of my idea of a Halloween party I don't know what to say to you.
"This is a ghost town | Bodies dragged through endless streets"

18. In Flames - The Quiet Place
One more borderline dance-y number - I find this song incredibly energizing. One of my favourite In Flames songs, which is saying a lot.
"Judge me now | A king in my own mind"

19. Wintersun - Death and the Healing
A bit of a change of pace - this is a really beautiful almost-ballad.
"Time is the death and the healing | Take your last breath, 'cause death is deceiving"

20. Gojira - The Art of Dying
Another sick song for the finale - Gojira are crazy technical, but still manage to sound melodic. I usually say they're "progressive metal", but they really don't need any label. You'd only know it's an anti-capitalism song if a) you are the kind of person who understands metal lyrics on first listen, or b) you know the band. While all this Halloween shenanigan is a big capitalist scheme. Haha.
"I won't bring no material in the after life | Take no possessions, I would rather travel light"

3 comments:

  1. Nem gondoltam volna, hogy valaki rajtam kívül ismeri a 15. pontnál levő bandát: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ó, hát én egy régi osztálytársam által ismertem meg, de az való igaz, hogy nem gondoltam volna, beauty/fashion bloggerek között mások is ismerik:D

      Delete
    2. A blogomon tényleg nem látszik, hogy metal/japán fan vagyok. No meg sok minden más. Sok közös zenét kedvelünk:)

      Delete