Monday 29 September 2014

In Flames Concert


This weekend was rather crazy. I can officially drink in any country now, but no-one gave me a plane ticket to the USA (obviously). On the other hand I bought myself a ticket, back in July, to the In Flames concert which took place yesterday.

The fact that it was a schoolday after, even more, one with a deadline (I had to finish the work after the concert, all hail all-nighters) - it took a little bit away from the experience, but it was still rather awesome. Not the best concert I've ever been to, since the sound were pretty messed up: the vocals were way too quiet. That did bother me during the other two bands, but since I knew most of the In Flames songs, I could sing along even without actually hearing the lyrics. And the best part - I was at first row! Who cares about fashion week, when I can stand first row at a metal concert?

Admittedly, the last few albums aren't my favourites, and somehow I like Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose less than Sounds of a Playground Fading. I'm not that fond of the newest album either, but obviously the most songs were from that one - at least they're easy to sing along to. I didn't expect When the World Explodes to be played (since it has female vocals), but they could have chosen Siren Charms instead of... any song from the album but Rusted Nail & Through Oblivion, since those were single tracks.

Bearing in mind the risk of sounding too dissatisfied, I'm listing all the other songs I didn't get to hear. My three favourite tracks from Sounds of a Playground Fading are the eponymous song, A New Dawn and Ropes, the latter being my absolute favourite. So I'm pretty happy about that having been played, but slightly sad about the other two.

I'm a bit meh about the Come Clarity and A Sense of Purpose songs, I don't really have any favourites among those. But the fact that only one song was played from a few older albums makes me even sadder - though Only for the Weak and Trigger are obviously among my top favourites, my favourite song from Colony is Ordinary Story. And they didn't play anything from Soundtrack to Your Escape - again, probably too much electronic tinkering and post-production, but judging by how many concert-goers were requesting My Sweet Shadow I'd say it's pretty well-liked. I myself would have preferred A Quiet Place or Evil in A Closet, but that's my third pick...

I was actually amazed how many songs I knew, even though I don't listen to In Flames nearly as obsessively as to Nightwish and Rise Against. So maybe the reason I didn't get to hear enough of my favourites is that I have just too many... and the fact that this is not ten years ago. (Soundtrack to Your Escape came out in 2004.) However, seeing as I was eleven that time and by no means did I listen to metal in any form, I am more than content with what I got.

So who's willing to pay for me to go to Insomnium's Vienna concert? That album I loved, and despite being dead tired I'm still sort of in the post-concert high, for probably a few days more. It's lucky I'm low on funds, otherwise I'd buying a train ticket already.
Just kidding, it's on a Wednesday during schooltime. But they are touring the USA with Dark Tranquillity, how awesome is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment