Monday 1 September 2014

The Autumn Playlist

Yet again another seasonal playlist! I didn't want to wait until the equinox, and September 1st is a fitting date for a little-or-not-so-much melancholic playlist. (Au contraire, there are quite some songs which qualify as happy songs with me.) With the end of September and the new In Flames album and the concert coming, I'll have quite a other music topics to write about anyway.


1. Aqua Timez - Aki no Shita de
Please ignore the video - it really is hard to find sort-of-obscure Japanese bands on youtube. They make really upbeat pop-rock with a melancholic side here and there, fitting for a sunny September.

2. Eluveitie - Omnos
I don't understand a word of this song, I just think its vibe would be fitting for a nice autumn witch seance, the kind where the witches dance around in circles and summon animals. Yeah.

3. Rise Against - Make It Stop (September's Children)
Well, I have to have a reason for a Rise Against song on every playlist, so here it is - the sub-head is "September's Children". It's a fucking great song, so that should be enough for justification.

4. System of a Down - Aerials
September 21 is International Peace Day, don't forget.

5. Poets of the Fall - Carnival of Rust
Even the band name is season-appropriate! Cheesy, nice, light rock (?) song.

6. Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends
Notice the absence of metal so far? Anyway, this song was an obvious choice. Anyone my age had to been living under a rock to not know this song.

7. Thrice - Broken Lungs
Still no metal! Actually, I tried to order the songs in a September-October-November fashion, so the heavier hitters are in the second half. Something about the mood of this song screams early October for me.

8. Bad Religion - Struck A Nerve
Autumn doesn't really strike me as punk rock, but I guess a sad-disappointed song like this one still fits the theme quite well.

9. In Flames - Trigger
Now that I've listened to the songs in order, I realize there are some abrupt changes... As it is in the lyrics, "from green to red our days pass by" - it's totally mid-Autumn.

10. The Rasmus ft. Anette Olzon - October & April
Since I didn't include it in the spring playlist, it was only fitting I wouldn't leave it out now. The mood fist autumn better after all.

11. Bring Me the Horizon - Hospital for Souls

12. Eisbrecher - Kinder der Nacht
Halloween isn't really a thing here (we have All Saints' as a holiday though), but there are still kids influenced by American culture who think they can go trick-or-treating. My mom usually goes ballistic on them. However, this is my Halloween party song.

13. Insomnium - Lay of the Autumn
This is my ultimate, most favourite Insomnium song, and such a perfect fit for a moody Autumn!

14. Epica - Unleashed
To bring back a little energy. I listen to melodeath when I'm down, and then I'm usually not in the mood for punk rock. Symphonic metal, however, can help me get back up. This is the kind of music I can always listen to.

15. Eternal Tears of Sorrow - Tears of Autumn Rain
Would you just look at that moody title? Yeah, the song isn't that sad, actually, it's quite fast-paced and high-energy.

16. Sonata Arctica - Paid In Full
I'm not one for these sad break-up songs or whatever, but Sonata Arctica has such a strong winter-autumn vibe to their music, I had to include one song, and this is one of my favourites of theirs.

17. Guns N' Roses - November Rain
Okay, so this is a classic, so I guess everyone expected this. This time I didn't want to be disappointing, so here it is. A beautiful song.

18. Omnium Gatherum - New World Shadows
And I again murder everyone with a melodeath song after a ballad. But it's so perfect for autumn - the beautiful music, the minimalistic lyrics. (Please ignore the video.)

19. Nightwish - Rest Calm
Nightwish is just as mandatory as Rise Against. Lots of songs from the Imaginaerum album are autumn-appropriate (Ghost River, Turn Loose the Mermaids definitely), but this even fits nicely near the end of the playlist. Also, it's one of my favourite Nightwish songs. (Wait for the children's chorus.)

20. The Birthday Massacre - Goodnight
A more upbeat song to finish off the playlist. Yeah, this band is also one of my happy-music bands. And I think "to wish us all goodnight" would be sort of a cool phrase to welcome winter with.

No comments:

Post a Comment