Monday 7 October 2013

Dream Theater: Dream Theater

I'm not always in the mood for Dream Theater, but I diligently listened to the whole album. They are far from being my favourite band, but everytime I listen to them I feel like 'damn, they are fantastic, why don't I like them more?'. I think I'm actually not educated enough - musically, I mean.

Even on this album, lot of stuff they make sounds incredibly similar to me. I love listening to them when I'm doing something else - drawing, making models, that stuff. But they have very few songs I listen to often; I do have a few favourites, but somehow... As I was saying, I'm an idiot who can't appreciate good music. I don't think this changed after this album, but I'll say beforehand - no matter what I wrote in the song-by-song opinions, I really liked the album.

I liked the intro, but then came The Enemy Inside - it was good, but not special. Somehow my least favourite part was the chorus - I adore their solos and instrumentals, especially the ones with lots of bass, but this chorus was so underwhelming I wished this was instrumental as well. Still, I liked this song, a lot better than The Looking Glass. Which was nice, but not powerful at all. It was not metal enough, but to me, it was not beautiful enough to be a nice ballad either. It's really my least favourite song on the album.
Enigma Machine - oh it's instrumental. Look, I love it! It's really soundtrack-ish, but hey, I actually love soundtracks. The Bigger Picture is that Dream Theater ballad. I loved it, really. It was simple enough, and powerful enough. One of my favourite tracks from the album, definitely. Behind the Veil is kind of good, and that subtle intro was pretty. It was like a veil.
I think I may be a bit of a Myung fan, but I really liked Surrender to Reason. I actually didn't even know he writes lyrics as well. Along for the Ride has some strange sounds going on in it, and I'm all for it.
The album has an epic outro of 22 minutes, it's really great, but I somehow feel like they shouldn't have put it ALL together. It somehow doesn't fit into one whole song, and it would have been a bit better in parts. Anyway, this seems like a minor problem. They do have those five parts listed, and as far as those five songs it's fantastic.

All in all, it's definitely worth one listen - so you can pick out a few favourites to listen to. That's how it goes for me with DT albums, even with the best ones; and while best one this is not, it's a lot better than the previous one. On the rebound, eh? Keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment