Monday 19 August 2013

Children of Bodom: Halo of Blood

This album came out back in May (in which time I obviously didn't listen to it properly, what with finals and final projects and all that), but later (already during summer) I downloaded the whole thing  - and wow, it's seriously addictive! I'd like to think that now I can form a proper opinion on it (probably not, I'm seriously biased) but anyway, a short review of the album. (This is a Music Monday post, and yes I have been stocking up all the ideas in my head.)

I did say I am biased. Children of Bodom is probably the band which got me into MDM and 'more aggressive metal' in general (the kind my mother, under absolutely no circumstances, can listen to). The first proper concert I've ever been to was a Children of Bodom one. I know their last two albums weren't exactly well-received (but I do have Blooddrunk as my ringtone), and I agree the last album (I mean Relentless Reckless Forever, not this one, obviously) was kind of dull.
It's been so long (almost a year, duh) since any of the bands I really like released any new albums, so I was really happy about it, and it did not disappoint. On the contrary, I found it to be a really interesting and consistent album.


I don't know why it's like that, maybe it's actually just a marketing strategy or whatnot, but on CoB albums usually the first 4-5 track are the good ones (that sounds so unprofessional but I'm just a mundane fan).
The first song is Waste of Skin, which is probably my favourite song on the album (as of now, I guess it may change in one-two months). It's feels like a bit of multiple things, an incredibly energetic way to kick off an album. The title track, Halo of Blood, is also great, albeit a little too generic to be the best  - though it's understandable they wouldn't title the album 'Waste of Skin' or even 'The Days Are Numbered', whereas 'Halo of Blood' sounds sufficiently badass, gruesome and dark for a death metal album.

The following Scream for Silence is another favourite of mine - there's a reason I listen to MDM but not real death metal. The part around two minutes sounds a bit weird but I like the song overall so much that I don't really mind. Transference is also great (okay, I guess my inner fangirl is clearly showing through by now) especially that solo. Ahh I want to go to a metal concert, preferably right now... (but there's nothing I like in sight for the year, oh well, more money to spend on clothes). Bodom Blue Moon (The Second Coming) is probably also a top3, it is perfect.

I've listened less to the rest of the track, but I really like Dead Man's Hand on You. They rarely do ballads, and seeing as I'm a sucker for slow metal pieces I was sold on this one. (Angel's Don't Kill is also one of my favourite CoB songs.) What I don't get is the hindu reference in the lyrics, but this is one of the cases where I found their lyrics quite powerful  - usually I'm really particular about lyrics, and let's face it, it's not their specialty.
When I first listened to The Days Are Numbered I had an eerie feeling of hearing something similar; then I did a quick listening-to with their intros and - it's all Hatebreeder! I don't mind, it's a nice song (and so fast! where is my concert?) song, but Hatebreeder was better.
I really listened the least to the last three songs, Damaged Beyond Repair, All Twisted and One Bottle and a Knee Deep - they are not bad songs, but still I'm a bit unhappy about the distribution of the songs on the album. I don't really like the way the better songs are always in the beginning.

Still, this album is great. Now I'll just have to wait for In Flames and Gojira. And don't forget there's supposed to be a 2014 Rise Against album. Now I'm tempted to go into a tumblr-like 'I CAN'T' fit but hey this is a respectable blog so I'm trying to stick with textbook grammar conventions.
Have a nice day, and if you've read this far at least listen to the songs I linked.

No comments:

Post a Comment