Thursday 21 December 2017

Best Songs of 2017

2017 was a really rather miserable year, but hopefully 2018 will be better. It wasn't all that bad in terms of music, but I'm busy during the holidays and exam period, so I didn't have time to sort out best albums. I also didn't listen to as many as last year, so it would've been hard to really honestly rank them. These 'best songs', or rather, my (40) favourite songs, are also in order of release, so this list is not a ranking. The whole thing is on spotify, but if you want a little more explanation and notes on my favourite records of the year, read on.
Pain of Salvation - Meaningless
Landawarijar is a pretty amazing album, and it may be the biggest reason I started listening to more black metal this year. Well, more than before.
Nailed to Obscurity - Memento
Junius - Heresy of the Free Spirit
Eternal Rituals for the Accretion of Light was definitely one of my favourite albums of the year. It's a really easy listen, with lots of catchy melodies, and isn't even necessarily metal, but it has enough musical variety and great hooks that I don't get bored.
Ophiuchi - Bifurcaria Bifurcata
If I was really pressed to pick a favourite album of the year, I might pick The Source. I don't think it's objectively the best album of the year (then again, what does that even mean?), but it's definitely the one I enjoyed the most. I guess you just can't get rid of that irrational love of all things with a full orchestra and a flair for the dramatic.
I was a little disappointed by Hurricanes and Halos, but I absolutely adore this song.
I can't tell you how many times I've sang along to this one while cooking dinner.
This is a banging album. I don't know if that's a word that's usually used to describe metal records, but this one is it. Lots of dramatic orchestration, heavy atmosphere, crisp sound, what more can you want?
I didn't know of The Great Discord before this year, but The Rabbit Hole is a really fun album. If you have to listen to "pop metal", listen to this one.
I think people are split on this record, but Mareridt is what made me get into Myrkur, and I really love this album, more than anything else she's ever released.
Iris Divine - The Acolyte
This song reminds me so much of another one, but I just can't figure it out...
I don't think I've processed this album yet, but I was bound to love it. It's heavy, in a sense heavier than anything else on this list, and truly haunting, so I'm sure it's going to take a little more time, but I'm sure to return back to this one.
Moonspell - RuĂ­nas

1 comment: