Friday 20 October 2017

Album Reviews: September

A little late, but I'm here with a selection of September records.

Septicflesh - Codex Omega
I love me some melodrama and over-the-top symphonic arrangements, and the new Septicflesh delivers on all fronts. It's an engaging record with many high moments, and it might even be one of my favourite albums by them.

Anubis Gate - Covered in Black
Anubis Gate is one of my favourite bands, so maybe it's best to quickly admit that I was slightly disappointed by this release. It's a little heavier than their previous record, but still is a more meandering and rock-veering sound than what I'd have wanted. I do feel like they moved in a direction I like, I just wish they had moved even more.

The Great Discord - The Rabbit Hole
I admit I've never heard of this band before, but they really bought me with this album. It's rather catchy, or dare I say, pop-like, but in a good way. Their is just something slightly spooky about it that doesn't seem as pretentious as the usual angst from more pop-oriented bands, and there even a few quite beautiful and slow offerings on the record.
Listen to: Darkest Day, Neon Dreaming, Cadence

Myrkur - Mareridt
I can't tell yet for sure, but this might be my favourite record of the month. I've never gotten into Myrkur, even when M made such a splash, so my judgement might be clouded by the pink fog of a fresh love. Nevertheless, this is a quality spooky-moody black metal record.
Listen to: The Serpent, Crown, Ulvinde

Archspire - Relentless Mutation
I haven't listened to a lot of technical death lately (the only band I always go back to is Gojira), but this album reminded me that out of all the really intense and extreme subgenres of metal, I still have a lot of love for tech death. This is definitely one of those records that need to be listened to on full volume and then it will blow your head off, it's intense but has a lot of variety, and thankfully it's a rather condensed record, so it never gets too much.

Kauan - Kaiho
It's a nice, moody post-rock record; not the kind I'd listen to on its own, but one that provides a beautiful backdrop to most anything I do daily. It's the one record of this month I'd recommend to anyone, not just those of us 'metalheads'.

No comments:

Post a Comment