Monday 2 November 2015

Album Reviews: October

Paragraph one: here's the usual stuff. Paragraph two: it's short, because life. I don't even know why I'd bother writing an introduction after all this time. October was good and gloomy, so if that's your thing, proceed as you want; otherwise, be warned.
Children of Bodom: I Worship Chaos
It's easy to admit I'm not as big of a fan as I was at fifteen. It's easy to say I had no expectations - and while that's true, I also crave good melodeath records, even if in my old age I had mellowed (or matured) more towards the doomy-melancholic variety from the in-your-face nonsense. So what do I actually think? I liked it. I don't know why, but I liked it better than the previous two. Still doesn't make any lists, nothing novel in here, but it is a pleasant listen.

Trivium: Silence in the Snow
I don't even like Trivium, nor the kind of music they make, so forgive me for being biased, but I found this utterly boring. Even if you don't think of it as very metal, it doesn't make it more compelling. It's catchy and radio-friendly, almost party music, to be honest. Amazing how much the songs blend into one in my head.

Panopticon: Autumn Eternal
You don't even need to notice the title - just looking at the cover you immediately know it's an atmospheric black metal record. Even if that is cliché, the music isn't. Obviously this isn't a genre for everyone, but this is a beautiful record of many great moments - from the crazy riffs of Into the North Woods to the sad waves of strings in Sleep to the Sound of the Waves Crashing. And also a perfectly timed release date, as far as season-appropriateness goes.

Enshine: Singularity
Naming this my favourite record of the month is definitely due to genre bias (nothing that melodic doom death can't sell to me), but nevertheless this is a great record. The melodies and the ambience will suck you in, while the heavier parts make sure you stay interested. Also probably fairly digestible to all people from all scenes of metal. After all, who doesn't like feeling like they're floating in space?

Avatarium: The Girl with the Raven Mask
Is there such a thing as deliciously catchy doom metal? Because if yes, then this is the best example. The singer's voice is just a little on the sultry side of creepy, while sounding very modern. All that backed with a thought-out doom approach with a progressive sensibility, and you get this pearl.

Draconian: Sovran
Another female-fronted doom band, another great record - they really know how to make a girl's Halloween. In a sense, much more traditionally doom, only mixed with some gothic influences. Truly beautiful all around, with the atmosphere of the best of doom and the heart-wrenching notes of the best of gothic metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment