Monday 26 January 2015

Let's Get Those Album Reviews Started

Did I do good on the title à la Fall Out Boy?
I really should have applied for a job as a music reviewer. Not like I have any real knowledge except my huge amount of fangirling over my favourite bands. But I sometimes review stuff I'm not that into, or is not my style, so let it be a promise that this year I'll do this diligently. Although I'd say I managed to keep up with the important releases, I missed quite a lot - which will probably happen again during busy times, but oh well.

Anyway, here's a short review of the new Enter Shikari and FOB albums. For those not interested in longish reviews - both are fairly good, so listen to them, they are on Spotify. Neither are metal, can I get a medal please?

Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep
I often wonder what kind of music I'd listen to if I wasn't metal, which is hard to answer since my music is an integral part of who I am. Not that I know what makes certain people attracted to a certain genres of music, and I cannot imagine myself without metal, or especially punk rock. I just wouldn't be me. That being said, I'd probably be into electronic music, just not of the dance floor kind. Kind of like Enter Shikari.
This album is good. Not amazing, and it's not particularly revolutionary, but an evolution from their previous release. Sometimes slightly disturbing music with political lyrics I like so much. The single, The Last Garrison didn't make me very excited about the new album - the music was nice enough, but it was kind of about nothing.

The first song, The Appeal & the Mindsweep I was a pleasant intro, but not unexpected. However, the anthemic second song, The One True Colour sold the album for me - it was so much better than what I expected. The break with its soft singing is mesmerising. The third song, Anaesthetist is an exciting song, kind of they've-done-this-before, but I like it. Never Let Go of the Microscope is delightfully weird, with a nuanced layering of melodies. Myopia is about global warming, kind of relevant now that we still haven't had any snow this winter; I like how it transitions into an aggressive song from its soft intro. Some songs near the end already blended into each other, but I'd take note of The Bank of England too. Lyrics aside (which are genius) - it's such an amusing song. I was intrigued just by the title, but the music itself is outstanding too. Slightly psychedelic rock, very easy, almost cheerful (except for the end), while the theme itself is anything but.

Top 3 picks: The One True Colour, Anaesthetist, Never Let Go of the Microscope

Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho
Honestly, I never cared much for Fall Out Boy. Now I wonder if it was because they were never so big around here - they were, and probably still are, a very American band. (Hey, it's evidenced by the album title, if nothing else.) I didn't have a FOB phase or a MCR phase, no. I had a Linkin Park phase toppled with some visual kei.
Now I appreciate them for their punch-delivering high-energy pop rock. This would be considered my happy party music; if that doesn't tell something about me, nothing does.
Honestly, I was pretty taken with the singles, and I still think they are among the best songs from the album, but it has a few more interesting tracks.

Irresistible lives up to its name. It's kind of relatable, despite such lines as "you look so Seattle but you feel so LA" - what is that supposed to mean, hey, I'm here in Europe. Still, it's very dance-y, and the triumphant instrumentalisation makes it pretty unique. (Also, Sid and Nancy.) The title track is even more all-American, it's nice, but I"m not really feeling the chorus this time.  I loved Centuries, the first single, when it was released, and it's still the best song from the album - it's simply perfect. Heavy metal broke my heart, hell yeah.
The middle is kind of muddy for me. The Kids Aren't Alright is sad-soothing, which I like, but the next two songs are rather boring and definitely too mellow. Novocaine, on the other hand, is a nice shake-up - it's rhythmic, aggressive, almost rock. Favourite Record is yet another love song, but I'm sort of okay with it. That weird voice sample makes it quirky enough. Immortals is still amazing (I really gotta watch Big Hero 6).

Top 3 picks: Centuries, Novocaine, Immortals

No comments:

Post a Comment