Sunday 14 July 2013

DIY spiked shorts

I think I've mentioned just how overwhelming black is in my closet (and I'm fine with it). I really am ready to admit that I'm fashion-conscious - had I been born a boy, I'm sure I'd be a total metal-head, outfit-wise: all black and a few band T-shirts.
As it is, there are a few non-black pieces in my closet, and especially in cases of 'bottom wear' I'm really picky about it. I've had a pair of high-waisted denim shorts which my mother bought me about 4(!) years ago. I've never worn them, because they are plain and boring (and not black). But since a year high waist is in, and unlike many such shorts I've tried in shops they actually fit me around the waist as well.
So how can one improve those boring, plain shorts? Well, here's a (really simple) way.

What you need:
 - the shorts (duh)
 - big scissors to cut the fabric; small scissors to cut holes
 - optional: needle for picking, simple thread for sewing
 - the spikes (you can buy some real cheap on ebay)

First, I cut down the legs' end seam, because the shorts were too long and I wanted to make it a bit shredded-looking. I don't like pieces falling down though, so it's not too shredded. Any good quality denim should be really easy to shed (hence the price they ask in normal shops is quite the ripoff ), as the two different threads should be relatively easy to separate. Since I've cut the side seam, I also sew it back (so when I sit down with my enormous thighs it doesn't start to unweave, or what's the word).

Then come the spikes: you can put them anywhere (though I advise against the butt part cause then how do you sit?), but it may be a good idea to draw beforehand the desired spots, so you can have an idea of what it'll look like. I put some around the pockets: since denim is a tight-woven fabric you have to poke holes into it (with small scissors; or I guess giant needles would work too but I don't have any), put in the screw, screw the top (the spike itself) in, and voilĂ .

I also did some holes on one of the pocket, because it looks cool. Here is the finished product:

No comments:

Post a Comment