Monday 5 September 2016

Album Reviews: July-August

The combination of a busy summer and the lack of many great or interesting releases makes for this two-month combo. I really didn't have time to discover new music. On the other hand, the defining musical experience of the summer was listening to Be'lakor's new album whilst traveling in Croatia - somehow it's the perfect summer metal record and I doubt it won't end in the top five, with all the memories stuck to it now.



Fates Warning: Theories of Flight
About as palatable as progressive metal can be, but that is not to say it isn't good. While I usually prefer heavier or a more grandiose progressive metal, I still enjoyed it.
Listen to: Seven StarsThe Light and Shade of ThingsLike Stars Our Eyes Have Seen

Inter Arma: Paradise Gallows
A heavy and oppressive atmosphere and wonderful guitars make for an amazing album. I'm one of those people who prefers listening to their favoured genres, but this one is above and beyond, so I definitely recommend it, especially to people fond of all kinds of blackened metal.
Listen to: An Archer in the Emptiness, The Paradise GallowsWhere the Earth Meets the Sky

Seedna : Forlorn
It's a meandering and almost ethereal album, yes, but it suits certain moods really well.
Listen to: Hourglass, Passage, O

Black Crown Initiate: Selves We Cannot Forgive
And now, for this: progressive death. The genre cannot offer much that I don't like, and Black Crown Initiate is a band I expect a certain quality from. I still can't decide whether I like this album better than their previous one (probably not), but I still recommend it.

Witherscape: The Northern Sanctuary
What if progressive death felt like power metal? Exactly like this. The music itself is, of course, quality metal, but the vocals aren't half bad either.
 Listen to: Wake of Infinity, In the Eyes of Idols, God of Ruin

Aktaion: The Parade of Nature
Melodic death with a weird Gojira aftertaste - that is to say, I love this album a lot. The songs are grandiose and eventful, and the mixture of heavier tracks and ballads that end in that catharsis we all love so much in metal never lets you get bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment