Monday 8 February 2016

Album Reviews: January

No reviews for December - it's pointless among all the year-end lists, and then it's exam period, and then it's already the end of January, so I don't think it'll ever happen. I'm sure I missed many releases in this past month as well, not having spent much time scouring for new music, but at least the banner looks very unified in its colour scheme.

Mechina: Progenitor

There's something in industrial death metal - of the cyber metal variety - I found really appealing. It may be my lost inner electronica fan, but this is one of the best energizing background music I can turn to. There's really not much that's new here, but it's still enjoyable.

The Lion's Daughter: Existence Is Horror
Don't you already love the title? Blackened sludge, or whatever this might be, is generally not my genre, but this is an excellent and above all, fresh record. It's full of interesting moments, though I don't think it's for casual listeners of metal.

Rhapsody of Fire: Into the Legend
January was a good month for symphonic power metal, with two of the most awaited releases coming out. While overall Rhapsody of Fire's was my least favourite of the two, it's still an excellent record, especially after many disappointments by the band.

Avantasia: Ghostlights
This is such a good record, so much so that I could care less about the cheesiness, or the length. The songs are mostly amazing, catchy but not too light, and the record itself is expertly composed. It's chock full of notable people in symphonic and/or power metal, and it still doesn't feel like it's too much. While I'll readily admit Isle of Evermore (featuring Sharon den Adel) disrupts the flow a little, I even like that one.
A Restless Heart and Obsidian Skies

Dream Theater: The Astonishing
I intellectually know this concept album is a composition masterpiece and a real feat in instrumentalisation, but the truth is, I was supremely bored. It might be me, because while there are a few Dream Theater songs I like, I am usually bored to death by them, and I love progressive metal a lot - this record is enjoyable to listen to, but it's hard to pick out songs, because I really don't think they work half as well standing on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment