Tuesday 29 December 2015

How the Tonsillitis stole Christmas (Don't Worry, It Didn't Really)

I'm not great with puns. I thought it best to apologize for such a title so late in the year. Those who had spent more time with me know that my strengths lie with sarcasm and playing jokes straight with a deadpan face. And even then I'm never really the funniest person in the room. Of course, now that I'm doing my favourite hobby (i.e. sitting in my room alone, lurking on the Internet), I am.
I haven't had much time to get into the Christmas spirit - final deadlines on the 18th, so it was constant stress and anxiety until then. So below follows a short summary of the period between that and now.

I ordered most of the Christmas presents online, due to the incredible forethought of not having time to shop when the occasion actually arrives, so I only made two trips to IKEA (for craft supplies and kitchen appliances) and a few rounds to supermarkets (for chocolate and tea). First I went with Mr E, and second time I went alone, following the realization that I can't buy his present while we're there together.
There, I spotted my new absolute favourite cool sci-fi lamps. I was not a fan of the orange, but you know, now that I've seen the new Star Wars... (BB-8 is super cute.) I imagine these in a living room of white, with a moderately shiny resin floor and dozens of LED lights hidden above the edges of the suspended ceiling and a fluffy rug before the dark grey couches and under a glass table, with a glimpse of the sleek chrome kitchen and the mysterious hallway and the many little lights of the city behind the huge glass walls.
Ugh. I mean. I need lots of money and my own flat. Or maybe I need to get my ass on writing a novel instead of word-vomiting here.

Anyway, onto and forward. I had a little celebration with Mr E and mutual friends on the 19th, then carried on with frenzied gift-buying, gift-making and gift-wrapping. I also helped clean the house, as my mum developed some serious backache. We went to see Star Wars with my brother while she finished baking the gingerbread cookies we started in the morning, and then next day we all decorated our batch. You can see mine above; as usual, I was the slowest and the most detailed. Hey, it's an art form.
I was starting to get really into the Christmas thing, but unfortunately, fate had other plans. I had started to feel funny around the 22nd, so when I awoke around 11am on the 23rd with a throat-ache so bad I could barely swallow water, I only took a little convincing from my mum to go to the doctors. Better phrased, to let her drive me to the clinic, as of course the resident doctor only had his hours until noon. I got home with a diagnosis of a bad case of tonsillitis and some crazy strong antibiotics, and was in bed until the Christmas festivities started the next day. I was feeling okay, but not great by then, so I hadn't had much of a Christmas feat, and of course I couldn't drink wine. (Come, New Year's Eve, I have a booze quota to fill now.)

Despite that, it all turned out nice. Minimal infighting on Christmas Eve (even through the card games, both which I won, thank you very much), nice atmosphere, not overly cranky grandpa when we went to visit during Christmas. Everyone liked all presents, though I must confess, my brother and I relied on our mum's request for new table covers for the most part.

I got a bunch of clothes, of course: the scarf and the turtleneck I bought myself, while the other three are from my mom. She's not the biggest fan of my persistent preference of black, but she did stick to monochrome, which is the next best thing. Others in the family just went with a trusted H&M gift card. Post-Christmas sales are a gift themselves - thus I also scored two bras for 2000. Yeah.

Some more acquisitions: the first book of my most beloved series, the Raven Cycle. Of course, now I have to own the rest. The last installment comes out in April, and I haven't been this excited about the release of a new book since the last Harry Potter. I'm actually considering pre-ordering it. The ones on the right are all from me to me. The tart is Christmas Memories which is definitely my favourite Christmas scent (of the specifically Christmas-themed YCs). The lipstick is Rustic Rose, a muted red from the Catrice FALLosophy collection, it's easy to apply, creamy and all-around wonderful. Sticks to everything, of course. It closes magnetically, which, please implement on all of the lipsticks. The glittery pinkish purplish wonder is ILNP's Metropolis, which was next on my "Expensive Nail Polishes You Can Only Buy For Occasions Because You Are A Lowly Student And Do Not Make Much Money At All". The other is the Miss Sporty peel off base, to apply on skin around my nails. I can happily report it worked nicely with the sponge application of Metropolis.

All in all, I had a pretty good Christmas, also successfully managing not to think about school or coming exams. I still have some leeway until New Year's Eve, and now that I'm mostly healthy again, I really look forward to finally getting out of the house and hanging with friends. Since I'll be doing friends and Mr E time the next two days, this is my last post this year - so here's to a wonderful 2016 with less stress, disappointment and sadness and more happiness and success and a better us and a better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment