Friday 14 August 2015

Album Reviews: July

A little late with it, but here's the July review of albums! Because of my internship, I didn't have that much time to keep up, and because it's summer, I also kind of forgot I was supposed to write it. However, it's been a reasonably good month, though what I'm really excited for is September - as far as new releases go, not about school, of course.

Deathwhite: Solitary Martyr (EP)
Now, I usually only review full albums, but this one is so good, I just couldn't pass it up. This is the best goth metal stuff you'll hear all year. All the heavy music and none of the cliches and cheese. It's wonderful, really - it's only five songs, so it's not that hard to listen through anyway. (I wish I could find lyrics so I could sing along in my awful voice in my solitude.)
Listen to: Pressure, Suffer Abandonment, Only Imagined

Alustrium: A Tunnel to Eden
(pretty, huh?)
I think I'm still in my progressive death phase, so it was a given I'd like this album. Unless I can count Deathwhite's as one, this is surely my favourite of the month. The hooky intro of the very first song gets you sucked in, and then there's no way out. It's an incredibly well-composed album (however long it is) with too many great moments to list.
Listen to: A Tunnel to Eden, The Atheist Phenomenon, The Illusion of Choice I: Genesis

Symphony X: Underworld
One expects excellence from a band like Symphony X. That they deliver, and while this is far from being their best records, it's very enjoyable in their usual almost-heavy, catchy but not too simplistic style.

Locrian: Infinite Dissolution
(the art is exactly how it sounds, which is why I like it a lot)
Yeah, if your mom tolerates your death metal, this is what'll send her over. Experimental black drone metal? It's basically noise, I'll tell you, one which is relatively pleasing to my ears (though I wouldn't be able to listen to it on repeat, that's for sure), but it's sure to be divisive among any crowd.
Listen to: Arc of Extinction, The Future of Death, An Index of Air

Kataklysm: Of Ghost and Gods
Again, a good old classic. As I've ashamedly admitted numerous times, I don't love death metal quite as much as I ought to. Kataklysm's veering into the melodic spectrum certainly brought them closer to my tastes, but it's still not as melodic as I'd like. That being said, this is a solid record, so I'd definitely recommend it to lovers of the genre.

Year of the Goat: The Unspeakable
And this month in delightfully weird: the latest release of the occult doom rock group. Trust me, I don't really know what the genre means either. It's doomy, gloomy, dark, creepy and even disturbing at times, all the while being extremely catchy, quality music. 
Listen to: All He Has Said, The Emma, The Wind

No comments:

Post a Comment