Monday 30 June 2014

(Punk) Rock for BP

It's currently LGBTQ+ month, and the Pride March is this Saturday - I thought a little musical contribution would be fitting. I'm seriously considering volunteering as a helper, and I hope a list like this would be okay from a straight ally as well (not like anyone reads this blog anyway though).
Most of the songs are from punk bands - obviously the majority of people listen to pop music, regardless of sexual orientation, but punk bands write seriously good songs about these issues, so listen anyway!
Most punk rock bands I know are all-male, this is an exception though. There needed to be some ladies representation as well!


This song is seriously hilarious. Also, I should have mentioned this list was going to be very NSFW. Listen with headphones, folks.

Pansy Division - I Really Wanted You

Green Day - Coming Clean
So some might not be happy with the inclusion of Green Day, which is definitely not a gay band, but as far as I know, Billie Joe is bi, and I warn you that there are going to be songs from straight white guys, so don't read further if that bothers you (I mean that entirely good-naturedly).

Lou Reed - Walk On the Wild Side
I promise there will be better song about transgenders as well, but I think this is a nice song.
Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia
This is the least relevant song on the list, but it's a beautiful classic, so...

Jayne County - Are You Man Enough to Be A Woman

Billy Bragg - Sexuality
Isn't so much about any kind of queerness, but it fits the theme.

The Mumps - Photogenia

Rise Against - Make It Stop (September's Children)
I think I said that I can put a Rise Against song on any list... I know the It Gets Better project is a bit problematic, but I don't think the general idea is too bad. I feel like this is a very powerful song, and deals with the subject matters (bullying and suicide) quite beautifully. Am I going to be pretentious if I say I cried when really listening to this the first time? It's still true.

Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Most of the punk songs on the list are kind of cult classic, or what would you call it - but these themes are still relevant, and there are current bands who are very similar. After all, the whole newest album of Against Me! was about the difficulties the amazing Laura Jane Grace had to face.

Against Me! - FUCKMYLIFE666
Just ignore the juvenile title, this is actually a very serious song. I'm going to be at least a bit disappointed if there's not going to be any Against Me! playing during the march.

No comments:

Post a Comment