Sunday 3 June 2012

Sonata Arctica: Stones Grow Her Name

I wanted to write a nice long review about this album, but turns out I really don't have time for it - there's an anime convention in two weeks time, and I want to make some great polymer clay stuff to sell, all the while having to study for my exams. So just a short summary.



If I think about it carefully, I'm not sure I would have been able to write a thorough review, as I'd never listened to a Sonata Arctica album from beginning to end before. So I don't have a clue whether as an album it's more consistent or not than the previous ones. (But it has the best and most beautiful name.)
I think it's a great album, with a pretty good structure; it has the Sonata Arctica-sound no doubt, so it's everything one could expect from the band. I wanted to go one-by-one on the tracks, but I'll only mention my favourites (I really don't have time).
You can call me mainstreamist, but my favourite song really is Only the Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful). I can't really make sense of the lyrics yet, but as I interpret it it's pretty cool. And it's a well-written, melodic song, so... My second favourite is I Have a Right; that one was a pretty big surprise, I never new Sonata Arctica wrote songs with so apparent social messages. And as I am a huge fan of socially aware punk rock, it was bound to resonate (and it's an incredibly catchy song).
I like Wildfire Part II (a folk undertone) and Alone in Heaven (because it's cool) as well, and the sweet intro of The Day (the whole song is very sentimental, in a good way). I almost like Shitload of Money, the song itself is powerful but the lyrics... I reckon it wasn't intended to sound that way, but I can't shrug the feeling that Tony is singing about a high-class whore (I'm sorry, I meant to say courtesan), which is kinda cool, but quite unexpected.
Those are the songs which somehow stuck with me, but I only listened to the album twice, hence the short review. And well, nothing's as great as Nightwish's Imaginaerum as an album.

No comments:

Post a Comment