Monday 17 March 2014

My favourite Within Temptation songs

I'm still under the influence of the concert, I've been mostly listening to music all weekend, organizing my iTunes library, making lists and searching for new things to listen to. So I though that for Music Monday, a little personal WT top20 would do.

20. And We Run (Hydra)
I normally don't like rap, but I did like it in music like old Linkin Park and Hollywood Undead - turns out it can work with symphonic metal as well.

19. Faster (The Unforgiving)
Luckily, Within Temptation has lots of music videos, so we don't have to suffer through badly synchronized lyrics and we get to watch Sharon. This one definitely crept up on to me after the concert!

18. Edge of the World (Hydra)
A soothing ballad, which starts out as a really slow ballad, but picks up power at the end.

17. Stairway to the Skies (The Unforgiving)
Very similar in composition to the previous one (also a slow-powerful ballad) , but I think with lyrics which are a lot more heartfelt and moving.

16. Dangerous (Hydra)
A very catchy song from Hydra, upbeat, as fun as a 'metal' song can be.

15. Forgiven (The Heart of Everything)
I guess this song can be interpreted in various ways - as I see it, it is a farewell message to a loved one who chose to end their own life. And it couldn't have been written better, it's a beautiful, haunting song.

14. Pale (The Silent Force)
Yet another ballad - if I had to pick one reason why I think this band stands out from the rest, it would definitely be their ballads. This ethereal music, coupled with Sharon's voice makes serious tear-jerking songs. (Although my favourites are generally not the ballads, but I like all of these songs a lot.)

13. Ice Queen (Mother Earth)
One of my old favourites, of those old nature-themed songs.

12. Empty Eyes (The Unforgiving)
I guess the reason this was only a bonus track was because it didn't fit in with the concept - cause it is an amazing song (but because of that, I didn't know about it for quite long!)

11. SinĂ©ad (The Unforgiving)
A catchy, not really metal song, which I still like really much.

10. See Who I Am (The Silent Force)
I really love this song, and in my mind, this is the Slytherin theme song of the Next Generation...

9. Covered by Roses (Hydra)
Now, this one really climbed up on my list after the concert, but it really is an amazing song.

8. Our Solemn Hour (The Heart of Everything)
Also one of my old favourites, with one of the coolest lines in Within Temptation's lyrics-writing history ('redeem us from our solemn hour', well doesn't it sound cool?).

7. Shot In the Dark (The Unforgiving)
It may be pretty lame that I like all the popular songs, but they are popular for a reason

6. Silver Moonlight (Hydra)
I will be forever sad they didn't play this live, because musically, this is my favourite song from Hydra - one of the heavier ones, which make Hydra such a revolutionary record for them. Only that Paradise is a collab with Tarja, so it's impossible to top that.

5. Angels (The Silent Force)
I guess the most widely known song from The Silent Force - it's actually a kind of generic post-relatioship song (I mean the lyrics), but otherwise it's fantastic (but it does have a weird-ass video).

4. Paradise (What About Us?) (Hydra)
As I mentioned - collaboration with Tarja Turunen. Awesome from every point of view.

3. Hand of Sorrow (The Heart of Everything)
A bit melodramatic - and so much fanvideo/fanfiction potential, think any fantasy story with betrayal in it.

2. What Have You Done (The Heart of Everything)
Even more melodramatic (I guess this just goes to show that as much as I hate Hollywood romantic comedies with passion, I am a romantiv at heart), and again, I could imagine a whole storyline off of this. (The lyrics are kind of generic, so it isn't really that hard.)

1.Memories (The Silent Force)
They do have nice ballads, but none of them measure up to this. It's not the most complicated, quite the contrary, it's simple, minimalistic, and that's partly what makes it so beautiful - there's a primordial quality to the kind of grief expressed. (Also, I want this played at my funeral.)

1 comment: